- One 4 to 5-pound chicken, rinsed, patted dry, and cut into 8 pieces
- Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 6 lightly crushed juniper berries
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons gin
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 12-ounce bottle lager beer
- 8 ounces small button mushrooms, or large mushrooms, quartered, wiped clean and stems trimmed
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche or sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Steamed long grain white rice, accompaniment
- Hot French bread, accompaniment
Lightly season the chicken on both sides with Essence.
Make a bouquet garni: In the center of a 6-inch square piece of cheesecloth, place the bay leaf, thyme, parsley sprigs and juniper berries. Draw up the sides to form a pouch and secure with kitchen twine. Set aside.
In a Dutch oven or large braising pan, heat the oil and melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Add the shallots and garlic, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 1 minute. Add the gin and cook until almost evaporated. Sprinkle the flour over the chicken, turn and cook for 1 minute. Add the beer, mushrooms and bouquet garni, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the chicken is tender, 45 minutes to an hour.
Discard the bouquet garni and add the crème fraiche. Stir to incorporate and simmer until warmed through. Adjust the seasoning to taste and sprinkle with the parsley.
Place the rice in the center of 4 large plates and top each with 2 pieces of chicken. Spoon the sauce over the top and serve immediately with French bread on the side.
Chicken With Wine: Coq Au Vin
Potato And Watercress Soup With Crisp Potato Pancakes And Smoked Salmon
Chicken With Dijon Mustard And Cream Sauce
Rich Chicken Stock
Steak Au Poivre
Salmon With Beurre Rouge And Red Wine Braised Endive
Braised Duck With Wine: Canard Au Vin