- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 1/4 pounds mixed mushrooms, such as shitake, oyster, cremini
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup full bodied red wine such as cabernet or malbec
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Parmesan Cheese Toast Points
In a large saute pan over medium heat, cook the bacon, stirring, in the olive oil until crisp. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate and set aside until ready to use.
Add the mushrooms to the pan in batches and cook until they are golden brown, about 5 to 6 minutes. Once brown, transfer the mushrooms to another paper towel lined plate. Proceed with this process until all of the mushrooms are cooked, if necessary add a little more olive oil to the pan. Add the shallot and garlic and cook for 1 to minutes. Add the mushrooms, bacon, thyme and parsley back to the pan along with the red wine. Cook, stirring up any bits that may be stuck to the bottom, until the wine has evaporated. Stir in the heavy cream, season with salt and pepper and simmer until the ragout is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
Serve the ragout while still warm on the Parmesan Cheese Toast Points.