- Four 6-inch loaves Portuguese stick bread, or Italian or French loaves
- 8 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 8 ounces sliced mortadella
- 8 ounces sliced spicy ham, such as capicola
- 8 ounces sliced salami
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut into eight 1/4 inch-thick slices
- 12 thin onion slices
- 12 jarred hot or sweet cherry peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 cups torn green-leaf lettuce
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cut the loaves of bread in half lengthwise, and arrange them in a single layer, cut sides up. Liberally brush the bread with the vinaigrette. On the bottom half of each loaf, evenly layer one-quarter of the provolone, followed by one-quarter of the mortadella, one-quarter of the spicy ham, and one-quarter of the salami. Top with 2 slices of tomatoes and 3 slices of onion. Divide the cherry peppers among the sandwiches. Stir the vinaigrette and generously drizzle it over the onion and tomato.
In a small bowl, toss the torn lettuce with some of the remaining vinaigrette. Divide the lettuce among the 4 sandwiches, top with the other halves of the bread, and serve.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar, basil, oregano, and garlic; whisk well to mix. Continue whisking while slowly drizzling in the olive oil in a slow, steady stream. Add the salt and pepper, and whisk to combine.
Makes 3/4 cup
The vinaigrette may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Grilled Almond-Butter Sandwiches with Bananas and Semisweet Chocolate
Kicked-Up Grilled Ham and Cheese with a Warm Roasted Tomato Salad
Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich
Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich
Egg Salad Supreme
Chorizo and Sauteed Pepper Sandwich with Lemony Olive Oil-Cilantro Drizzle
Smoked Sausage Sandwiches with Beer-Braised Onions
Grilled Fish Sandwich with Roasted Corn Aioli
Grilled Cheese "Sandwitch''
Emeril’s Delmonico Peach Salad