- Four 6-inch loaves Portuguese stick bread, or Italian or French loaves
- 8 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 8 ounces sliced mortadella
- 8 ounces sliced spicy ham, such as capicola
- 8 ounces sliced salami
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut into eight 1/4 inch-thick slices
- 12 thin onion slices
- 12 jarred hot or sweet cherry peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 cups torn green-leaf lettuce
- 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the loaves of bread in half lengthwise, and arrange them in a single layer, cut sides up. Liberally brush the bread with the vinaigrette. On the bottom half of each loaf, evenly layer one-quarter of the provolone, followed by one-quarter of the mortadella, one-quarter of the spicy ham, and one-quarter of the salami. Top with 2 slices of tomatoes and 3 slices of onion. Divide the cherry peppers among the sandwiches. Stir the vinaigrette and generously drizzle it over the onion and tomato.
- In a small bowl, toss the torn lettuce with some of the remaining vinaigrette. Divide the lettuce among the 4 sandwiches, top with the other halves of the bread, and serve.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar, basil, oregano, and garlic; whisk well to mix. Continue whisking while slowly drizzling in the olive oil in a slow, steady stream. Add the salt and pepper, and whisk to combine.
- The vinaigrette may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Grilled Spinach And Artichoke Dip Sandwich
Smoked Sausage Sandwiches With Beer-braised Onions
Fried Oyster Po'boy With Jalapeño Mayonnaise And Avocado
Broccoli With Seriously Cheesy Sauce
Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich
Kicked Up Pigs In A Blanket
Kick Butt Gumbo