- 2 cups pear cider or pressed pear juice (if unavailable, apple cider may be substituted)
- 2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 2/3 cup sliced shallots
- 4 8-ounce chicken breasts, skin on, bone in, and frenched
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Roasted Acorn Squash and Braised Pears, for serving
- In a 2-quart sauce pot, combine cider, chicken stock, cinnamon stick, cloves, peppercorns, and shallots. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat so liquid just simmers. Continue to cook until mixture has reduced to 1 cup, 35 to 40 minutes. (Have a liquid measure nearby so you can check the volume as necessary.) Set sauce aside to cool a few minutes, then strain through a fine mesh sieve. Reserve sauce. Discard solids.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add breasts, skin-side down, and cook for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, flip chicken, and cook 4 minutes longer. Transfer chicken breasts to oven and cook for another 10 to 12 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. Remove chicken from oven and transfer to a serving platter.
- Drain any remaining fat from hot pan, then return pan to stove over medium-high heat. Add sauce to pan and reduce by half, about 4 minutes, or until syrupy. Remove from heat.
- Either serve whole or slice breast diagonally into 1/4-inch slices. Serve with sauce spooned over the top.
- Cook's Note: "Frenched" refers to a technique where the meat is cut away from the end of a rib or bone, in this case the wing bone, leaving a portion of the bone exposed. If you are uncomfortable doing this yourself, ask your butcher to do it for you.
Roasted Acorn Squash And Braised Pears
Braised Apples, Roasted Acorn Squash, And Fresh Thyme
Creamy Turnip And Parsnip Soup
Crispy Parsnip Chips
Apple Cider-braised Chicken And Cabbage
Emeril's Perfect Roast Chicken
Chicken And Green Chile Tamales With Roasted Tomato Salsa
Simple Roasted Turkey Breast
Poached Pears With Port Syrup And Blue Cheese