- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1/2 pound ground pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo or Andouille sausage (not smoked)
- 1/2 cup bottled chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onion and green pepper and cook until vegetables are very soft and lightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool briefly.
In a large bowl, combine beef, pork, vegetable mixture, breadcrumbs, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and Essence. In a separate bowl, combine eggs and cream; pour over meat mixture. Gently mix to combine (do not overmix).
Place half the meat mixture on prepared baking sheet; form into a 9-by-4-inch loaf. Using a paring knife, remove casing from chorizo, keeping the shape intact. Place chorizo lengthwise down center of loaf. Cover with rest of meat mixture, enclosing chorizo and patting to adhere.
In a small bowl, combine chili sauce, dark brown sugar, and Worcestershire and stir to blend. Brush over meatloaf. Bake, basting occasionally with pan juices, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of loaf registers 160 degrees, about 1 hour. Let rest 15 minutes before serving.
Mr. John's Rice Dressing
Individual Chicken Potpies With Puff Pastry
Mr. John's Meatloaf
Quail Milton with Wild Mushroom-Andouille Duxelles and Port Wine Sauce
Banana Cream Pie with Caramel Drizzles and Chocolate Sauce
Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo
Mr. John's Chorizo Frittata
Mr. John's Spare Ribs With Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Mr. John's Seafood Chorizo Soup