- 2 pounds kielbasa, smoked or fresh
- 2 pounds thick-sliced smoked pork loin
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 10 whole cloves
- 8 whole allspice
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 Gala or similar apples, unpeeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds freshly made sauerkraut
- 1 head of green cabbage, shredded
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups Polish lager
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add sausages and pork loin. Sauté until the sausages and loin start to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions, spices, and bay leaves to same pot. Sauté until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add apples; sauté 2 minutes. Mix in sauerkraut and fresh cabbage. Add water and beer. Boil 10 minutes. Cover the pot and bake for 1 hour.
- Arrange sauerkraut and meats on platter and serve warm.
- Source: The Emeril Lagasse Show: Episode 1 - Emeril's Housewarming Party
- Dish Type: Entree
- Effort Level: Moderate