- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2/3 cup dark beer, such as Abita Turbodog
- 4 ounces sharp English cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces Caerphilly cheese*, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dry English mustard
- 1 pint raw oysters
- 12 (1/2-inch thick) slices French bread, toasted
- 6 slices crispy-cooked bacon, crumbled
- *Note: If you cannot find Caerphilly cheese, substitute cheddar.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the beer. When the bubbles have begun to subside, add the cheeses, 1 handful at a time, stirring constantly and in 1 direction only, until smooth and creamy. Add 1 teaspoon of the Essence, the Worcestershire sauce, and the dry mustard and stir to combine. Keep warm while you prepare the oysters.
- In a small skillet or saucepan, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter over medium-low heat and add the oysters. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until the oysters are just cooked and have begun to curl around the edges, stirring occasionally. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of Essence.
- To serve, divide the French bread toast between 6 plates, and divide the cooked oysters among the toasts. Top with the cheese mixture, and garnish with the crispy bacon.
New Orleans-Style Stuffed Artichokes
Blackened Red Fish With Emeril’s Quick Cabbage And Lemon Butter
Emeril's Classic Seafood Gumbo
Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo
Pork Roulade With Andouille Corn Bread Stuffing, Sage Jus, And Mango Chutney
Andre's Barbecued Shrimp And Homemade Biscuits
Shrimp Stuffed Flounder With Sauce Piquante
Paneed Chicken with Creamed Garlic Potatoes and Braised Kale
Pecan Crusted Lemonfish With Lemon Butter Sauce And Pecan Crab Relish