- 5 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh seeded jalapeno
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup black beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1/4 cup Emeril's Southwest Essence
- 1 roasted poblano pepper, peeled, seeded, and julienned
- 1 roasted ancho pepper, peeled, seeded and julienned
- 1 roasted jalapeno, peeled, seeded, and minced
- 1 roasted yellow pepper, peeled, seeded, and julienned
- 1 roasted red pepper, peeled, seeded, and julienned
- 1/2 small red onion, julienned
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 8 large corn tortillas, covered with a damp cloth
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup grated pepper Monterey Jack
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons tequila, optional
- In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onions for 1 minute. Add the jalapenos, 1 teaspoon of the minced garlic, black beans, and 1/4 cup of the cilantro. Stir in the chicken stock and cumin, bring the liquid up to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Cook the beans, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until tender, about 2 hours or until the beans are tender. Remove from the heat and using a hand-held immersion blender or in batches in a food processor*, puree the beans until smooth. Alternatively, leave the beans whole for a chunkier texture. Season with cumin, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high, about 350 degrees F.
- Season the flank steak with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the Southwest Essence. Place on the grill and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Remove from the grill and allow to rest.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the roasted peppers, remaining 1 teaspoon minced garlic, the red onions, lemon and lime juices, and 2 tablespoons of the cilantro and mix thoroughly. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Preheat the vegetable oil in a deep-fat-fryer or enough oil to come halfway up the sides of a large pot to 350 degrees F.
- Preheat a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- With a pastry brush, lightly brush both sides of each tortilla with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place 1 tortilla at a time in a skillet until just warm and softened, 2 to 5 seconds per side. Transfer to a work surface and continue with the remaining tortillas.
- Slice the flank steak into very thin slices, about 1/4-inch thick. Place about 2 ounces of the flank steak and 2 tablespoons of the grated cheese in the center of each tortilla. Tuck the sides in and roll the tortilla up tightly. (The taquitos should resemble an over-sized pencil shape.) Fry 3 to 4 taquitos at a time for 3 minutes or until crispy. Drain on paper towels and season lightly with Emeril's Southwest Essence.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, tequila, and remaining 1/4 cup cilantro, mix well, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the black bean puree into the center of 1 large platter or 4 small plates and top with the cream. Arrange the taquitos around the beans, spoon the additional cream along the side, and serve with the Roasted Pepper Salsa. Garnish the platter or plates with fresh cilantro sprigs and serve immediately.
- *When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.
Beef Flautas With Black Bean Puree, Roasted Pepper Salsa And Cilantro Cream
Hot Chorizo Tamales With Black Bean And Roasted Pepper Salsa
Vegetable Quesadilla With Parsnip Puree, Caramelized Onion Marmalade, Cilantro Sour Cream
Coconut Shrimp With Star Fruit And Black Bean Salsa And Passion Fruit Cream
Black Bean And Roasted Pepper Salsa
Grilled Tuna With Black Bean Chili, Avocado Puree And Fried Tortillas
Fried Wontons With Oriental Noodle Salad And Grilled Flank Steak
Cilantro-Tequila Grilled Chicken
Shredded Pork Taquitos With Roasted Tomatillo Salsa And Corn And Goat Cheese Queso
Grilled Tuna With Tortilla Sauce, Black Bean Chili, And Salsa