- 4 (1 1/2-inch thick) beef tenderloin fillets
- 1 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cracker meal
- 11/2 teaspoon Essence
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- Biscuits, for serving, optional
- Slice the tenderloin fillets crosswise in half into 3/4-inch thick medallions. Season the fillets lightly with salt and pepper.
- Combine 3/4 cup of the flour, cracker meal, 1 teaspoon of the salt, 1/4 teaspoon of the freshly ground black pepper, and 1 teaspoon of the Essence in a small, shallow bowl. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and 1 teaspoon of the hot sauce.
- Dredge the beef medallions, 1 at a time, in the flour-cracker mixture and then dip in the buttermilk mixture. Dredge medallions again with the flour-cracker mixture, pressing to coat, and shaking off any excess flour.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet with 2-inch deep sides to 375 degrees F. (The oil should be about 1/4-inch deep.) Add the tenderloins to the preheated oil, being careful not to over-crowd the pan. It may be necessary to do this in batches. Pan-fry on the first side for 2 1/2 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn the beef tenderloins and cook an additional 2 minutes, or until golden brown. The tenderloins should be medium at this point, or you can cook to the desired degree of doneness. Place the tenderloins on a paper towel-lined plate and keep warm while you make the gravy.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the pan drippings in the skillet and discard the remainder. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook, stirring, until softened and golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of flour to the mushrooms, and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add the milk, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking constantly to keep from sticking. Bring the gravy mixture to a simmer, and cook 5 to 6 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Season the gravy with the remaining 3/4 teaspoon of salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, remaining 1/2 teaspoon Essence, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce. Serve immediately over split biscuits and chicken fried tenderloins.
Honey-butter Baked Chicken With Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Pasta With Vodka Sauce And Sausage
Potato Chip Cookies
Skillet Steak With Tasso Maque Choux And Fried Chanterelles
Country Fried Steak
Emeril's Grilled Cowboy Steak With Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Fried Oysters And A Drizzle Of Homemade Worcestershire Sauce
Grilled Rib Eye Steaks With Fried Bell Pepper Rings And Maitre D'hotel Butter
Herb Cheese Stuffed And Fried Eggplant Steaks With Braised Radicchio, Fennel, And Escarole
Beef Tenderloin With Fresh Horseradish and Black Pepper Crust
Chicken-fried Steaks And Oysters With Cream Gravy