- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups fresh (or frozen and thawed) peach slices, peeled
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Vanilla bean ice cream, for serving
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting the work surface
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus extra for sprinkling the pies
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese, diced and chilled
- 9 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening, chilled, plus more for frying
- 4 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, combine the sugar, peach slices, cloves, and nutmeg. Mix until blended. Bring mixture to a boil; turn down heat and allow mixture to simmer until the peaches are softened, 20 to 25 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the peaches from the saucepan and place in a small bowl. Reserve 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the peach liquid in the saucepan and discard the rest. Return the peaches to the saucepan.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and the cornstarch. Whisk cornstarch mixture into the peach mixture, stirring until combined. Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly to keep from sticking; mixture will be very thick. Transfer peach mixture to a clean bowl and chill for 1 hour, or until completely chilled.
- To make the crust, sift together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the chilled cream cheese and shortening and, working with your hands or a fork, mix until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time and gently mix until the dough begins to stick together. Form dough into a round disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and divide the dough into 8 equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough piece into a thin circle, about 6-inches in diameter. Place 1/4 cup of the chilled peach filling into the center of each dough round. Fold the dough over, making a half-moon shaped pastry, trim any excess dough leaving a 1/2-inch edge around the filling, and crimp the edges together with a fork. Chill pies for 30 minutes.
- In a large heavy skillet, melt vegetable shortening to a depth of about 1/2-inch. Heat the shortening to 350 degrees F. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with paper towels and sprinkle sugar lightly over the paper towels. Fry pies in skillet, in batches, until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to the paper towel-lined baking sheet and sprinkle the tops of the pies with sugar. Serve immediately with vanilla bean ice cream.
Fresh Peach Fried Pies With A Cinnamon Crust And Roasted Peach And Raspberry Ice Cream
Ruston Peach Crumb Pie And Cinnamon Ice Cream
Caramel Cinnamon Graham Apple Pie With Caramel Pecan Cream
Cinnamon Rum Raisin Ice Cream With Fried Plantains And Spun Sugar
Fried Cinnamon Ice Cream With Chipotle Chocolate Sauce
Rustic Fresh Blueberry And Peach Cobbler With An Oatmeal Crust
Pineapple Cream Pie With Coconut Crust
Roasted Butternut Squash Custard Pie With A Pecan Crust
Mixed Berry & Nectarine Crostade With Canola Oil Pie Crust
Mixed Berry And Nectarine Crostade With Canola Oil Pie Crust