- 12-ounces boneless, skinless fresh tuna, poached
- 1/3 cup minced red onions
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plus extra for spreading on sandwiches, homemade mayonnaise
- 6 to 12 slices sourdough or other white bread
- 6 (1/4-inch) slices ripe tomato, lightly salted
- 6 (1-ounce) slices Muenster cheese
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- Crispy potato chips, for garnish
- Dill pickle spears, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Crumble the poached tuna into a medium mixing bowl. Add the onions, eggs, garlic, and capers. Mix thoroughly. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Stir in enough mayonnaise to moisten the salad, about 1/2 cup or according to preference.
Spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise over 6 slices of bread. Top each slice with a generous 1/3 cup of the tuna mixture. Top each tuna salad with a tomato slice and a slice of cheese. Place cheese side up on a baking sheet and bake for 3 to 4 minutes or just until the cheese is melted. Top each sandwich with 3 to 4 lightly salted avocado slices and serve open-faced or top with the remaining pieces of bread.
Cut sandwiches in half diagonally and serve with crispy potato chips and dill pickle spears.
Tuna Melt Nicoise
Marinated and Grilled London Broil with Emeril's Homemade Steak Sauce
Pressed Italian Tuna Sandwich
Columbia Street Grinder
Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich
Egg Salad Supreme
Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich
Vietnamese Style Poor Boys
Fresh Tuna and Butter-Lettuce Wraps with Crispy Wonton Threads, Shaved Jalapeno and Basil Oil
Grilled Pennsylvania Chicken Breast Sandwich