- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons almond slivers, toasted
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Place the oil in a 6-quart stockpot and bring to 350 degrees F. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla and milk and whisk vigorously to blend. Gradually add the egg and milk mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Fold the mashed bananas into the fritter dough and gently combine.
- Drop the fritter batter into the hot oil by the spoonful (about 1 1/2 tablespoons batter per spoonful). Fry the batter in batches, about 8 to 10 fritters at a time, and cook for 3 minutes, turning once to evenly brown. Remove the fritters from the oil once they've cooked, and drain on a paper-lined sheet pan. Place the sheet pan in the oven while you continue to fry the remaining fritters.
- Once all of the dough has been fried, leave the fritters in the oven while you make the glaze. Combine the apricot jam and the orange juice in a 1-quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Continue to boil until the orange juice is reduced by about half and the jam starts to thicken, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the fritters from the oven and arrange on a platter. Drizzle with the apricot glaze. Sprinkle the almonds over the glazed fritters and sprinkle with the confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.
Sam's Banana Fritters
Ricotta Fritta: Ricotta Fritters
Apple Fritters With Steen's Cane Syrup
Cho-cho (mirliton) Fritters With Coconut Rum Sauce
Fried Cinnamon Fritters
Banana Pudding Layer Cake From Nola Restaurant
Grilled Banana Splits with Hot Fudge and Rum Caramel Sauce