- 1 cup dried red kidney beans
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces small diced salt pork
- 1/2 cup small diced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 cups long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 Scotch bonnet pepper (seeds and ribs removed)
- Wash the beans and sort through them to remove any stones. Strain the beans and place in a 3-quart Dutch oven. Cover the beans with the water, and bring the contents of the pot to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the beans until fork tender, about 2 to 3 hours.
- Strain the beans through a colander, and reserve the liquid. Return the Dutch oven to the stove, and set over a medium heat. Add the olive oil to the pan and once hot, about 1 minute, add the salt pork to the pan. Cook the pork, stirring often until most of the fat has rendered out and the meat is slightly caramelized, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onions, shallots, green onions and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring often for 3 to 4 minutes. Return the beans to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally until the skins are wrinkled, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, thyme and cloves to the pan and cook, stirring to coat the rice in the fat for 3 to 4 minutes. Pour the coconut milk and 2 1/2 cups of the reserved bean cooking liquid (top-off with water if you do not have enough bean cooking liquid) to the pan and bring to a boil. Season the rice and beans with the salt and add the Scotch bonnet to the pan. Once the rice comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer and cover the pan with a lid. Continue to cook the rice until the liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Leave the lid on the rice, and allow it to steam, for 5 minutes, before removing the lid.
- After the rice has steamed, remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork or large slotted spoon. Serve while hot.
Mesquite Smoked Caribbean Style Whole Red Snapper
Caribbean Style Chicken With Brown Sugar Peanut Spice Rub
Soul Roll (southern Greens-stuffed Pork Tenderloin With Red Beans And Rice And Pan Gravy)
Cornmeal Crusted Redfish With A Spicy Red Bean Sauce, Grilled Green Onions Coulis, Homemade Andouille Sausage And Southern Style Hush Puppies
Braised Country Style Ribs With White Beans And Fresh Herbs
Red Beans And Rice
Red Beans And Rice
Braised Beef Short Ribs With Red Beans And Sushi Rice
Red Beans and Rice
Mexican-Style Yellow Rice with Black Beans