- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- One 10-ounce package couscous
- 1 large or 2 small carrots, peeled and coarsely grated (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and finely minced (1/2 cup)
- 2 medium celery ribs, sliced thinly on the diagonal (1 cup)
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 sweet apple, such as Golden Delicious or Gala, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (3 ounces)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine the water, salt, and olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Add the couscous and stir well. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand 5 minutes, then toss gently with a fork. Let cool completely, tossing occasionally to ensure even cooling.
- Combine the cooled couscous in a large stainless steel or other nonreactive bowl with the carrots, bell pepper, celery, onion, apple, cucumber, raisins, pine nuts, green onions, and cilantro.
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a lidded jar and shake well to blend. Pour the dressing over the couscous mixture and toss to coat evenly. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature before serving.