- One 2-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 3 lemons, halved and juiced, shells reserved
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions (green and white parts)
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence
- 1 Asian Mayonnaise
- Combine 6 cups water with the ginger, lemon shells, lemon juice, soy sauce, sugar, bay leaves, green onions, garlic, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper in a large heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Season the shrimp with the Essence and add to the boiling mixture. Cook for 2 minutes, remove from the heat, and steep for 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp with tongs or a slotted spoon and transfer to a large platter to cool. When cool enough to handle, serve, either warm, at room temperature, or chilled, with the Asian Mayonnaise.