- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 3 to 5 tablespoons ice water, as needed
- Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter and shortening. Rub the fats between your fingertips and thumbs, or use a pastry blender, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. One tablespoon at a time, work in enough ice water until the dough comes together, being careful not to overmix or the crust will be tough.
- Shape into a smooth ball of dough, flatten into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up to 2 days.