- 2 1/4 cups chopped fresh clams (about 30 cherrystone clams) *see note
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Essence, plus more for dusting
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup clam juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Tartar Sauce
- Chopped parsley leaves, garnish
- Lemon wedges
- Drain the clams while making the batter.
- Into a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, salt, Essence, and cayenne. Add the egg, milk, and clam juice, and mix to make a thick batter. Fold in the clams, shallots, green onions, parsley, and garlic.
- In a large cast iron skillet, or deep saute pan, heat enough oil to come 2 to 3 inches up the sides of the pan to 350 degrees F.
- Drop the batter by the tablespoonful into the hot oil and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Season lightly with Essence.
- Arrange the fritters on a large platter, with the tartar sauce in a bowl in the center. Garnish with the parsley and serve with lemon wedges on the side.
Salt Cod And Lobster Cakes With Roasted Corn Relish And A Classic Tartare Sauce
Emeril's Kicked Up Stovetop Clam Bake With Lobsters, Mussels, Potatoes, Artichokes, And Sausages
Crawfish Beignets With Tomato And Corn Tartar Sauce
Gulf Fish Beignets With Green Onion Tartar Sauce
Crawfish Cakes With Chipotle Tartar Sauce
Crab Cakes With Chipotle Tartar Sauce
Halibut Cakes With Homemade Tartar Sauce
Smoked Salmon Cakes With Lemon Dill Sauce
Catfish Beignets With Spicy Lemon Tartar Sauce