- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons Essence, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 large soft-shell crabs, cleaned, rinsed, and patted dry
- 4 (7-inch) lengths French bread, cut in 1/2 lengthwise
- 1/2 cup Creole Tartar Sauce
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 12 thin slices ripe tomato
- 12 dill pickle slices
- In a large pot, heat 2 inches of oil to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, 1 teaspoon of the Essence, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne. In another bowl, combine the cornmeal, 1 teaspoon of the Essence, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, water, and remaining teaspoon of Essence. One at a time, lightly coat the crabs with the flour mixture, then dip into the egg wash, followed by the cornmeal to coat.
- With tongs, lower 2 crabs at a time into the hot oil. Fry, turning once, until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season lightly with Essence.
- Spread both sides of the French bread with tartar sauce. Layer the lettuce, tomatoes and pickles over the bottom half of the bread and top with 1 crab. Close the sandwiches and serve immediately.
Cheese Stuffed Soft Shell Crabs With Grilled Tomato Basil Coulis, And Grilled Green Onions
Fried Soft Shell Crabs with Tasso Hollandaise
Soft Shell Crab Po Boys
Crab Stuffed Soft-shells
Stuffed Soft Shell Crabs With Pesto Cream
Soft-shell Crabs On The Grill
Grilled Soft-shell Crabs With Jumbo Lump Crabmeat
Hearts Of Palm Salad With Vine Ripened Tomatoes, Oranges, Bibb Lettuce, Shaved Fennel, And Fried Soft Shell Crabs With Cucumber Yogurt Dressing
Tempura Stone Crabs With Lemon, Black Pepper Tartar Sauce
Goat Cheese Stuffed Soft Shell Crabs With A Pecan Pesto Butter Sauce