- 1 1/2 cups Thai sticky rice (khao niao)
- 1 can (19 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
- 6 sprigs mint
- In a large bowl, combine the rice and enough water to cover by 2-inches. Soak for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours. Drain.
- Inside a wok, place a bamboo steamer and line the steamer with parchment paper. Add enough water to come up just below the bottom steamer rack, 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Bring the water to a boil. Add the rice to the bottom steamer rack, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and steam until rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer the rice to a bowl.
- Open the coconut milk and skim the thick cream from the top into a small saucepan. (Reserve the leftover coconut milk for another recipe.) Add the sugar and salt to the coconut cream and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Pour over the rice, mix well, cover and set aside until liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature with mango slices. Garnish with mint sprigs. (The finished dish can be kept, covered, at room temperature for 6 to 8 hours. Don't refrigerate or the rice will harden.)
Shrimp Coconut Soup With Ginger And Lemongrass
Steamed Jasmine Rice
Shrimp With Rooster Sauce Over Sticky Rice
Truffled Goat Cheese And Sticky Rice Pancake
Hoisin Glazed Chicken Stuffed With Sticky Rice And Chinese Sausage
Coconut Cilantro Rice Pilaf
Coconut Mango Bread Pudding With Caramel Rum Sauce And Fried Coconut Strips
Poached Grouper With Mango Salsa And Coconut Cilantro Rice Pilaf
Grilled Marinated Fish With Tropical Salsa And Coconut Rice