- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence
- 1 1/2 pounds catfish fillets
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Red Curry Paste, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups shrimp or chicken stock
- 1 cup canned, drained bamboo shoot strips
- 1/2 cup julienned fresh Thai basil, if unavailable use Italian basil
- Steamed Jasmine Rice
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour and 1/2 teaspoon Essence. Season the fish on both sides with the remaining teaspoon Essence.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat 1/2 cup of the vegetable oil to 360 degrees F.
- Dredge 2 of the fillets in the flour, coating evenly and shake to remove excess flour. Fry the fillets until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Remove with a slotted spatula and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining fish.
- Keep the fish warm in the oven while preparing the curry.
- To prepare the curry heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers and cook, stirring, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the curry paste and soy sauce and stir to combine. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the bamboo shoots and stir to combine. Add the fried fish and cook until fish is heated through, about 1 minute. Season, to taste, with salt. Remove from the heat. Stir in the basil and serve with jasmine rice.
Red Curry Paste: Krung Kaeng Phed
Crispy Catfish And Black Eyed Peas, Bacon And Caramelized Onion Relish With Fried Collard Greens
Pan Fried Catfish
Pan Fried Catfish With Tartar Sauce And Cornbread Salad
Pan Fried Pass Manchac Catfish With Spicy Tartar Sauce And Hush Puppies
Nashville Fried Catfish With Fried Pickles
Herb Crusted Catfish With Tomato Fennel Vinaigrette, And Andouille And Fava Bean Relish
Smoked Catfish Terrine
Catfish Sauce Piquante Served Over Giant Jalapeno Corn Muffins