- 3 pounds venison stew meat, such as round or roast, trimmed and cubed
- 4 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 cloves
- 8 parsley stems
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons juniper berries
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 4 ounces pancetta or bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces wild mushrooms, wiped clean and stems trimmed, or quartered button mushrooms
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- Chopped parsley, garnish
- In a large non-reactive bowl, combine the meat, wine, vinegar, 3/4 cup onions, 1/2 cup carrots, 1/2 cup celery, garlic, rosemary, thyme, cloves, parsley stems, bay leaves, juniper and peppercorns. Stir to combine, cover, and marinate 24 to 36 hours, refrigerated.
- Drain the meat thoroughly, reserving the liquid, and pat dry.
- In a large pot, cook the pancetta over medium heat until brown and the fat is rendered. Remove and drain on paper towels. In batches, add the drained meat and cook, stirring, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan. Add the remaining onions, carrots, and celery, and the minced garlic. Cook, stirring, until soft. Add 1 cup of the reserved marinade and bring to a boil, stirring to deglaze the pan. Return the meat and pancetta to the pan and add enough marinade to come halfway up the sides of the meat. Reduce the heat, cover slightly, and simmer until the venison is tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 1/2 hours. (The cooking liquid should reduce and thicken as the meat cooks, yet add additional liquid should be added as needed to keep the meat halfway covered during cooking.)
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender and starting to brown. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the egg noodles and cook until al dente. Drain well and return to the pot. Toss with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
- To serve, place the egg noodles in a large serving bowl. Top with the stew and arrange the cooked mushrooms over the stew. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
Tex Mex Style Venison Chili
Grilled Venison With Braised Red Cabbage And Mashed Potatoes
Linguica Stuffed Turkey Breast With Buttered Egg Noodles
Venison And Wild Mushroom Stew
Vietnamese-Style Curried Shrimp with Cellophane Noodles
Venison Medallions With A Smoked Bacon And White Bean Ragout With A Creole Mustard Sauce
Garlic Studded Loin Of Venison With A Berry Reduction
Cinnamon Smoked Venison Medallions With Bourbon Mash Sweet Potatoes And A Caramelized Onion Gravy
Stuffed Leg Of Venison With Shallot Pan Gravy