- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil 2 pounds beef shank, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 pounds lamb shoulder, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 (3 to 4-pound) chicken, cut into 1/8's
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium onions, quartered plus 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 whole cloves garlic, peeled and crushed, plus 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 medium fresh hot red pepper, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 quarts water
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 2 cups medium diced carrots
- 1 cup medium diced green bell peppers
- 2 cups canned peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1 pound Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup fresh lima beans
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Cheesy Garlic Grits Casserole
- In a large heavy pot heat the oil over medium-high heat. Season the beef, lamb and chicken with Essence, salt and pepper and add in batches to the pot, searing on all sides. Add the quartered onions, whole garlic, red pepper, and bay leaves, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered, skimming to remove any scum that forms on the surface, until the meat is tender and the chicken is falling from the bones, about 2 hours.
- Strain, reserving the broth. When the meats and chicken are cool enough to handle, remove the skin and bones and discard. Chop the meat.
- Return the clean pot to the heat and cook the bacon over medium-high heat until the fat is rendered and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon. To the fat in the pan, add the chopped onions, carrots and bell peppers, and cook stirring, until soft, 4 minutes. Add the chopped garlic, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, lima beans, Worcestershire and sugar, and enough reserved broth to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often, until thick and the potatoes are tender, 30 minutes to 1 hour. Add the corn and cooked meat and chicken and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes. Add the bacon and parsley and stir.
- Remove from the heat and serve hot with Cheesy Garlic Grits Casserole and hot biscuits