- 8 cups beef or chicken stock
- 1 3/4 cups finely chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound highly marbled beef sirloin, thinly sliced
- 1 small white Chinese cabbage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean and stems trimmed
- 12 thin asparagus spears, tough ends removed
- Steamed white rice
- Sesame Dipping Sauce
- Around the table, set each place with 1 small bowl and 1 pair of chopsticks.
- In a large pot, combine the stock, green onions, ginger, and garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Arrange the beef and vegetables on a large platter. Cover and chill until ready to cook.
- At serving time, pour stock into a shabu-shabu cooker, close lid, and fill chimney with glowing coals. (Alternately, use a table-top cooker or electric frying pan.) Place in the center of the table within easy reach of everyone. Keep the stock simmering throughout the meal, adding more as necessary.
- To serve, remove the lid on the shabu-shabu cooker. In turn, each guest picks up ingredients with a pair of chopsticks and holds in the boiling stock until just done.
- The cooked ingredients then are dipped in the individual's sauce bowl and eaten with rice.
- Note: Care should be taken not to overcook meat and vegetables. Steak should be pale pink when cooked and vegetables tender but still crisp.
- When all the meat and vegetables are eaten the stock is ladled into the individual bowls and served as soup. The bowls should be lifted to the lips, Japanese fashion, rather than using a spoon.
Sesame Dipping Sauce
Emeril's Asian Fondue With Sesame-soy Dipping Sauce
Salt Baked Squid With A Sesame Hoisin Sauce
Beer Battered Fried Okra Stuffed With Crabmeat And A Spicy Green Onion Dipping Sauce
Creole Spiced Blue Crabs With Green Onion Dipping Sauce
Fireside Sausage Wraps With Bourbon Mustard Dipping Sauce
Kicked Up Chicken Wings With Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
Crawfish Dumpling With A Spicy Orange Dipping Sauce
Hot Rice Wine And Sesame Dipping Sauce
Hummus Bi Tahini (chickpea Spread With Sesame Seed Pasta)