- 2 whole mullet, catfish, or trout, scaled and gutted (about 1 pound each)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons peeled and grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 cup peanut oil
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Essence
- Ginger Sake Sauce
- Rinse the snapper, pat them dry, and use a small sharp knife to puncture and cut slits in them 1 inch apart on both sides of each fish.
- To make the marinade, combine the onions, ginger, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, orange juice, 1/2 cup of the oil, and 1 tablespoon Essence in a small bowl. Place the fish side by side in a glass dish large enough to hold them flat. Pour the marinade over the fish, turning to coat both sides. Let marinate for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- In a large, shallow bowl, combine the cornstarch with the remaining 2 teaspoons of Essence. Drain the fish from the marinade and one at a time, dredge in the cornstarch to lightly coat both sides, shaking to remove any excess.
- Heat a large wok over high heat until very hot. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and 3 tablespoons of the marinade to the skillet. Add one fish and sear for 2 minutes. Turn, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil, and sear until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add more of the marinade and cook until cooked through.
- To serve, cut the head from each fish, make a long incision along the top edge and the bottom, and loosen the fish horizontally from the central bone or backbone.
- Place one half snapper on each of 4 plates, removing the central bone, and spoon 1/4 cup of the Ginger Sake Sauce over each.
Tipsy Snapper With Ginger Sake Sauce And Fried Arugula
Ginger Sake Sauce
Drunken Onaga With Ginger Sake Sauce And Fried Maui Onion Rings
Katafi Wrapped Shrimp In Lettuce Cups With Kicked Up Hoisin Sauce
Sweet And Sour Pinecone Fish
Ginger Sake Sauce
Emeril's Favorite Chinese Chicken With Green Beans
Wok Fried Tempura Ahi With Shoyu Mustard Butter Sauce And Tomato Ginger Relish
Wasabi Crusted Salmon With Orange Ginger Sauce
Tempura Chicken Fingers With Plum Sauce And Ginger Stir Fried Vegetables