- 3 pounds cooked good quality ham
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups dried tart apples
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- About 1/2 cup milk
- Place the ham and salt in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the ham is tender, about 2 hours.
- Place the apples in large bowl, cover with water, and soak for 2 to 3 hours. When the ham is tender, add the apples and their soaking liquid to the pot. Add the brown sugar and onions, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Add the egg and melted butter, and enough milk to make a moist, fairly stiff batter.
- Uncover the ham and apples, and bring the cooking liquid to a boil. Drop the batter by tablespoonfuls into the boiling liquid. Cover tightly and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, transfer the ham to a large platter and let sit for 5 minutes. Carve thinly and spoon the dumplings around the meat. Serve.
Smoked Ham Hock And Goat's Cheese Dumplings
Apple, Pear, And Raspberry Stew With Oatmeal Dumplings
Wiener Schnitzel Mit Reis Und Grunen Erserln, Mayonnaise (vienna Schnitzel With Rice, Green Peas And† Mayonnaise)
Dandelion And Bitter Greens With Fried Potatoes And Warm Bacon Dressing
Country Green Beans And Ham
Country Ham and Apple Slaw Sandwich with Baby Swiss and Bourbon Mustard
Sugarcane Baked Ham With Spiced Apples And Pears
Boiled Hen And Spicy Dumplings