- 1 gallon water, plus 1 gallon
- 1 1/2 cups salt
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 8 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup hot pepper sauce
- 4 (1-pound) mullets, cleaned and heads removed, or catfish
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 3/4 cup cane syrup
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- In a large container, combine 1 gallon of water, the salt, brown sugar, ground black pepper, dried thyme, bay leaves, and hot pepper sauce. Stir until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Add the fish, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 48 hours.
- Soak wood chips of your choice in a bucket of water for 2 to 3 hours, then drain. Prepare a home smoker according to the manufacturer's directions and place the soaked chips in the bottom tray.
- In the upper container of the smoker, combine the remaining 1 gallon water, onions, and peppercorns. Cover the smoker and let the fire burn for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, make a glaze by combining the cane syrup, shallots, thyme, and ground black pepper. Cook over medium heat until reduced in volume by 25 percent. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Lightly coat the grill with vegetable oil.
- Remove the fish from the brine and pat dry inside and out. Paint both sides of each fish with the reduced glaze. Place on the grill above the water and cook, covered, until crisp and the skin is dry, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, turning once. Remove from the smoker and serve either hot or chilled, as desired.
Steen's Cane Syrup Glazed Ham
Cane Syrup Pecan Bread Pudding With Espresso Creme Anglaise
Café Au Lait Crème Brûlée with Cane Syrup Cake
Steen's Cane Syrup Shoofly Pie
Smoked Duck Mousse Profiteroles With Chile Pepper Glaze
Sauteed Ramps With Apple Smoked Bacon
Venison Medallions With A Smoked Bacon And White Bean Ragout With A Creole Mustard Sauce
Roasted Red Mullet With Peasant Meat Juices
Grilled Red Mullets With Garlic Walnut Sauce
Citrus Crusted Pompano With Grapefruit Butter Sauce