- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces (1 stick) cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- Sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Using your fingers, work in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons of ice water and work with your fingers until the water is incorporated and the dough comes together. Add more water as needed to make a smooth dough, being careful not to over-mix. Form the dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to fit into a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press the dough into the pan and cut until trim with the edges. Line with parchment pastry and pie weights or dry beans, and bake until set, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the paper and weights and bake until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack until ready to fill.