- 1 (8-ounce) Pont l'Eveque (cheese), very cold, rind removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Essence
- 1 large egg
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 red apples, cored and cut lengthwise into 8ths
- 6 cups mixed baby lettuces
- 12 sprigs fresh baby parsley
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped, toasted walnuts
- Sliced warm French bread, accompaniment
- In a large saute pan or medium pot, preheat 2-inches of vegetable oil to 350 degrees F.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl. Combine the bread crumbs and Essence in another shallow bowl. Beat the egg in a third bowl. In batches, dip the cheese cubes into the flour, then the beaten egg, then into the bread crumbs, shaking to remove any excess. Place on a plate and freeze until very cold, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and fry in the oil until golden brown and crisp, 20 to 30 seconds. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, and garlic. Add the walnut oil, then the olive oil, in a steady stream, whisking constantly to form an emulsion. Add the shallots and salt and pepper to taste. Toss with the lettuces and baby parsley sprigs, and divide among 4 salad plates. Garnish each plate with 4 apple slices.
- Top each salad with fried cheese cubes and garnish with a sprinkling of walnuts. Serve immediately with French bread.
Salad With Avocado Dressing And Pont L'eveque Dressing
Sherry Walnut Oil Dressing
Mixed Green Salad With Blackberry Dressing, Walnuts, And A Mutton Button Butter-fried Crouton
Fried Eggplant Salad With Sweet Corn Dressing
Fried Wild Mushroom Salad With Wild Mushroom Dressing
Frisee and Arugula Salad with Pan Fried Oysters and Creamy Fennel Dressing
Hearts Of Palm Salad With Vine Ripened Tomatoes, Oranges, Bibb Lettuce, Shaved Fennel, And Fried Soft Shell Crabs With Cucumber Yogurt Dressing
Arugula With Cilantro Oil, Peppered Goat Cheese, And Roasted Walnuts
Fried Oyster Salad With Pernod Buttermilk Dressing
A Creole Fried Shrimp Salad With Vidalia Onions, A Classic Remoulade Dressing And Pickled Okra