- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (6 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1/4 cup candied fruit, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon sweet Marsala
- 4 ounces ricotta, drained in a cheesecloth set over a bowl until thick
- 2 tablespoons, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon of water to make an egg wash
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- For the pastry: In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Work in the butter using your fingers. In a small bowl, beat together the eggs, vanilla, zest, and cinnamon. Work into the dough and knead until smooth. Form into 2 equal pieces.
- One at a time, roll out both pieces of dough between 2 sheets of lightly floured waxed paper to about 1/8-inch thickness. Keep the dough between the sheets of waxed paper and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a large piece of parchment paper and place on a large baking sheet. Set aside.
- For the Filling: In a small bowl, combine the candied fruit and Marsala. Let the fruit soak for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the egg yolk, cinnamon, and lemon zest. Stir in the candied fruit. Gently fold together to avoid breaking up the ricotta.
- In a small bowl, whip the egg white with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold the meringue into the ricotta mixture.
- Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and cut each piece in half lengthwise.
- Lay 1 piece of dough flat on the buttered parchment paper and brush the edges with egg wash. Spread half of the filling down the center. Top with a 2nd sheet of dough and press together to adhere. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool before cutting into individual 1/2-inch thick pieces. Serve either warm or at room temperature.
- (Alternately, arrange the filling in evenly spaced spoonfuls down the bottom sheets of pastry, as though making ravioli. Top with a 2nd sheet of pasta and press gently to form pockets of filling. Brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Cut into individual pieces and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool before serving either warm or at room temperature.
Emeril's Pastry Cream Doughnut Filling
Ricotta Fritta: Ricotta Fritters
Pastry Wrapped Baked Brie With Truffled Crabmeat Filling
Ricotta And Fig Pie With Brioche Crust
Mini Chocolate Bundt Cakes With Peanut Butter Filling And Chocolate Glaze
Mille Feuille Of Benne Wafers And Pineapple Pastry Cream With Macerated Berries
Fresh Lemon Pastry Cream
Orange Petite Fours With An Almond Pastry Cream And A Fresh Orange Glaze
Corniottes Sucrees (sweet Cheese Pastries)