- 2 cups brewed espresso
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon almond or walnut liqueur (Frangelico or Nocello)
- Dark chocolate curls, garnish
- In a bowl, combine the espresso and 1/3 cup of sugar, and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pour into a shallow baking dish and freeze until ice granules start to form around the edges, about 1 hour. With a fork, stir and break up the granules. Freeze and stir every 20 minutes until the mixture becomes an icy slush, about 2 hours. Cover and keep frozen until ready to serve.
- In a medium bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks start to form. Add the remaining tablespoon of sugar and the liqueur and beat until just stiff.
- To serve, scoop the granita into shallow wide-mouthed glasses or ice cream coups and top each serving with the sweetened cream and chocolate curls.