- 1 (6 to 7 pound) cooked, bone-in, butt portion ham, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 loose cup dark brown sugar, plus 2 teaspoons
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup Creole mustard, or other spicy, whole-grained mustard
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3 pounds small sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- With a sharp knife, score parallel lines in a grid pattern, with cuts 1-inch apart and 1/4-inch deep, across the rounded, skin side of the ham.
- In a large bowl, whisk the 1 cup of the sugar, orange juice, mustard, molasses, horseradish, cayenne, and 1/2 teaspoon of the allspice. Place the ham in a 2-gallon, plastic bag and pour the marinade into the bag. Gently squeeze the bag to evenly distribute the marinade around the ham. Place in a large bowl or baking dish and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the potatoes with the vegetable oil, salt, cinnamon, remaining 1/4 teaspoon allspice, and remaining 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar. Layer the potatoes on the bottom of a Dutch oven or large, heavy roasting pan. Remove the ham from the marinade and place, scored-side up, on the potatoes. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Pour the ham marinade into a 2-quart saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to a bare simmer and cook uncovered until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Remove the ham from the oven and evenly baste on all sides with the reduced marinade. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the ham from the oven, baste again, and turn the sweet potatoes that can be reached. Return the ham to the oven and continue baking for an additional 1-1/2 hours, basting every 15 minutes, for a total cooking time of 2-1/2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes before carving. Serve hot with the sweet potatoes.
Spiced Baked Ham With Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Molasses Ham With Roasted Molasses Sweet Potatoes
Honey-Butter Baked Chicken with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Ham Steaks With Red Eye Gravy, Sweet Potato Biscuits And Molasses Pecan Butter
North African Influenced Lamb Shanks With Couscous
Sugarcane Baked Ham With Spiced Apples And Pears
Sweet Potato Spice Cake
Pork Chops Stewed With Apples And Prunes, With Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Crispy Sea Bass With Confit Of Yukon Gold Potatoes, Pancetta And Fresh Sweet Peas
Cinnamon Smoked Venison Medallions With Bourbon Mash Sweet Potatoes And A Caramelized Onion Gravy