- 1 (4 to 4 1/2-pound) chicken, giblets removed, and rinsed and patted dry
- 4 teaspoons butter, cut into 4 thin pieces, plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Leaves from 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Herbed Rice Pilaf with Peas
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the chicken in a small roasting pan. Slip your fingers between the skin and breast to make a pocket and insert the 4 slivers of butter and tarragon leaves. Pull the skin back in place. Rub both sides of the bird lightly with the softened butter. Season both sides and inside the cavity with salt and pepper. Arrange the onions and remaining herbs inside the cavity and tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- Roast for 20 minutes breast-side down. Turn the bird and roast for 20 minutes breast side-up. Lower the temperature to 375 degrees F, turn the bird breast-side down, and roast until golden brown, the juices run clear and an internal thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 170 degrees F., about 30 to 45 minutes more. Remove from the oven and transfer to a platter to rest for 15 minutes. Tent to keep warm.
- Spoon off the fat from the pan juices, and place the roasting pan on 2 stovetop burners over medium heat. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, stirring to deglaze the pan, and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer until reduced to about 3/4 cup, about 3 minutes.
- Make a slurry using the white wine and cornstarch. Whisk the slurry into the hot sauce and bring to a boil to thicken. Remove from the heat and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Transfer to a gravy boat or decorative bowl.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the Herbed Rice Pilaf with Peas, and pan gravy.
Herbed Rice Pilaf With Peas
Pan Fried Quail With Country Milk Gravy And Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
Soul Roll (southern Greens-stuffed Pork Tenderloin With Red Beans And Rice And Pan Gravy)
Emeril's Shrimp Scampi With Herbed Rice Pilaf
Cheese Stuffed Chicken Scallopini With Fresh Tomato Sauce And Herbed Orzo With Peas
Sunday Night Roast Beef And Gravy With Easy Rice
Ham Steaks With Red Eye Gravy, Sweet Potato Biscuits And Molasses Pecan Butter
Pan Roasted Filet Mignon Stuffed With English Stilton Served With Potato Walnut Confit And Port Wine Reduction
Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breasts With Light Pan Sauce And Braised Celery
Blue Cheese Butter Spread, And Blue Cheese Butter Stuffed Chicken Breasts With Butter Infused Pan Sauce