- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
- 6 ounces oyster mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
- 8 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup brandy
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 (8-inch long) thin baguette French bread, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3 cloves peeled, crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, and cayenne and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, the mushrooms give off their liquid and start to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the brandy, bring to a boil and cook until glazed, about 2 minutes. Add the stock and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and puree with a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor. Add the cream, return to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and adjust seasoning, to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rub both sides of the French bread slices with the crushed garlic and place on a baking sheet. With a pastry brush, brush 1 side with the olive oil. Top with a fine sprinkling of the cheese and bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with 2 croutons.
Cream Of Wild Mushroom Soup
Cheese And Beer Soup With Garlic Croutons And Kielbasa Sausage
Roast Beef Hash With Poached Eggs And Wild Mushroom Sauce On Garlic French Bread
Papa's Island Pig Feet Soup With Wild Mountain Mushrooms, Mustard Cabbage, Peanuts And Ginger
Cream Of Parsnip Soup With Fried Parsnip Nest And A Crab Meat And Wild Mushroom Relish
Garlic Soup With Croutons
Portuguese Clam Stew With Garlic Croutons
Garlic Soup With Creole Croutons
Emeril's Peasant Style Monkfish With Garlic Croutons
Roasted Garlic Bisque With Garlic Croutons And Basil Pesto