- 2 pounds baking potatoes, like russets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Essence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a pot of salted water to cover by 1-inch. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Preheat the griddle.
- Fry the bacon on the griddle until brown and crisp, about 6 minutes, turning frequently. Remove and drain on paper towels. Leave the bacon grease on the griddle.
- Add the onions and bell peppers to the griddle and cook in the remaining fat, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds. Add the drained potatoes, Essence, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the potatoes are golden and crisp, about 6 minutes. Crumble the bacon into the potato mixture and mix well. Serve immediately. (Alternately, cook in a large skillet over medium-high heat.)