- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot red pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup minced onions
- 1/4 cup minced red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapenos
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or more, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons Essence
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, hot sauce, onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, and cayenne in a large mixing bowl and mix well to break up any lumps. Stir in the eggs, buttermilk, and water, and blend well.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat to 360 degrees F.
- In batches, drop the batter by tablespoons into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on all sides, turning with a long-handled spoon, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining batter. Sprinkle with the Creole seasoning and serve hot.
Pan Fried Pass Manchac Catfish With Spicy Tartar Sauce And Hush Puppies
Jalapeno Hush Puppies
Cheddar Cheese Hush Puppies
Cornmeal Crusted Redfish With A Spicy Red Bean Sauce, Grilled Green Onions Coulis, Homemade Andouille Sausage And Southern Style Hush Puppies
The Catfish Place's Hush Puppies
Buttermilk Cornbread Dressing