- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 8 teaspoons Essence
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 cup cooked medium grain rice
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 cups dried fine bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Spicy Dip
- In a large skillet, combine the pork and 3 teaspoons of the Essence, and cook, stirring, until brown over medium high heat, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain on paper towels.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons of the flour and, stirring constantly for 5 minutes, make a dark brown roux.
- To the pork, add the onions and bell peppers, and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the pork mixture to the roux and cook for 1 minute. Add the water, salt, and cayenne, and bring to a boil. Simmer until thick, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the rice, green onions, and 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and spread on a baking sheet or platter until cool enough to handle.
- In a shallow bowl, season the remaining 3/4 cup of flour with 2 teaspoons of the Essence. In another shallow bowl, season the remaining 1 cup of bread crumbs with the remaining tablespoon of Essence. In a third shallow bowl, whisk the egg and milk together.
- Preheat the oil to 360 degrees F.
- Shape the pork and rice mixture into balls the size of walnuts. Dredge the pork balls first in the flour, then dip in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Dredge the balls in the seasoned bread crumbs, turning to coat evenly.
- Using a slotted spoon, slide the balls in batches into the oil and fry, turning until golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on a paper-lined plate. Season lightly with salt, and repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Serve hot with the Spicy Dip.
Beer Battered Fried Okra Stuffed With Crabmeat And A Spicy Green Onion Dipping Sauce
Boudin Balls with Creole Mustard Dipping Sauce
Fried Okra With Creamy Buttermilk Dip
Keftedes (fried Minced Balls With Herbs)
Fried Pickles With Spicy Dipping Sauce
Kicked Up Corn Dogs With Spicy Green Onion Dipping Sauce
Kicked Up Chicken Wings With Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
Shrimp Etouffee With Steamed Rice And Fried Mirliton Strips
Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Pepper Jelly Drizzle