- 1 large egg*
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil, or mild olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped tarragon
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped dill
- 2 teaspoons chopped basil
- In a food processor or blender, combine the egg, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and cayenne, and process on high speed until smooth. With the machine running, slowly add the oil in a steady stream until an emulsion forms. Adjust seasoning, to taste. Place the mayonnaise in a mixing bowl and fold in the chopped herbs. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
- *RAW EGG WARNING The American Egg Board states: "There have been warnings against consuming raw or lightly cooked eggs on the grounds that the egg may be contaminated with Salmonella, a bacteria responsible for a type of foodborne illness.… Healthy people need to remember that there is a very small risk and treat eggs and other raw animal foods accordingly. Use only properly refrigerated, clean, sound-shelled, fresh, grade AA or A eggs. Avoid mixing yolks and whites with the shell…"