- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1/4-cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 (28-ounce) cans Italian-style tomatoes with the juices
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- FOR THE CANNELLONI:
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 ounces finely chopped pancetta
- 2 teaspoons Essence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 6 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2/3 pound peeled, deveined, and chopped shrimp (about 1 pound with shells and heads)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/3 cups ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus additional 1/2 cup, if desired, for garnish
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 (8-ounce) box cannelloni or manicotti shells
- For the sauce: Heat the olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, Essence, salt and red pepper, and sautÈ until the onions are soft, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and sautÈ for 30 seconds. Add the wine and reduce by 1/2. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the basil, thyme, oregano and bay leaves and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the sauce has thickened somewhat, but is still chunky, about 45 minutes. Add the cream and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Discard the bay leaves, adjust the seasoning, to taste, and let sit while making the filling.
- For the Cannelloni: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, pancetta, Essence, salt, and red pepper and cook until the onions are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add the tomato paste and wine, and stir well to incorporate. Cook until half of the wine has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook until just pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the basil and oregano, stir well, and remove from the heat. Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet or large plate to cool quickly.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan, the shrimp mixture and egg. Adjust seasoning, to taste.
- Butter a 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Spread about 1 cup of the tomato sauce over the bottom of the dish. Working from both ends, using a pastry bag, stuff each manicotti shell with about 1/4 cup of filling and place on the tomato sauce. Repeat with the remaining pasta and filling, lining up in rows in the pan. Pour the remaining sauce over the cannelloni and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Uncover and continue baking until golden brown and bubbling, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- If desired, sprinkle each serving with additional grated Parmesan.
Veal, Spinach And Cheese Stuffed Cannelloni
Shellfish Stuffed Spinach Cannelloni With A Truffled Balsamella
Greek Lamb Phyllo Triangles
Polish Deep Fried Garlic Sausage
Polish Honey Onion Sauce
Egg Fu Yung
Yarithes Yiouvetsi (roasted Prawns With Fresh Tomatoes And Feta Cheese)
Skewers Of Grilled Prawns With A Fresh Corn And Tomato Salad