- 1/2 pound medium red beets, washed, stems and leaves removed
- 1/2 pound medium golden beets, washed, stems and leaves removed
- 1/2 cup unsalted, shelled sunflower seeds
- 1 bulb fennel, cored, halved and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 6 cups mache
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 6 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 8 French bread croutons, as accompaniment
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Wrap the red beets in 1 large piece of aluminum foil, and the golden beets in another large piece of aluminum foil, closing the packets tightly. Roast in the oven until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven, unwrap the beets and cool. When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Place the beets in a small bowl.
Spread the sunflower seeds on a small baking sheet and toast lightly in the oven, about 3 minutes, shaking once during cooking to turn. Remove from the oven and cool.
Place the fennel and mache in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, mix together the shallots, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and whisk in the oil in a steady stream to emulsify. Toss the beets with a small amount of the dressing, and the fennel and mache with the remaining dressing. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide the mache and fennel among 4 salad plates. Arrange the beets on top of the greens, and top with the crumbled cheese. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of seeds over each salad and serve with toasted French bread croutons.
Chilled Roasted Beet And Fennel Soup With Apple-mint Crema And Toasted Pistachios
Arugula, Radicchio, Endive, Roasted Walnut and Maytag Blue Cheese Salad
Roasted Fennel, Green Bean, And Potato Crisps Salad
Apple Salad With Blue Cheese Croutons And Cider Dressing
Feta, Goat Cheese And Leek Buttons With Lentil Salad
Warm Grilled Potato And Fennel Salad With Herbed Buttermilk Dressing
Pickled Eggs And Beets
Toasted Hazelnut and Dried Cranberry Salad with Bibb Lettuce and Gorgonzola
Creamed Potatoes With Spinach And Roasted Garlic
Turnip Soup With Crispy Country Ham And Cornbread Croutons