- 2 large eggplants, about 1 1/2 pounds each
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and cut lengthwise into slivers
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into eighths
- Pita bread, cut into wedges and lightly toasted
- Preheat a gas grill (or alternately an oven to 350 degrees F).
- With a small, sharp knife, cut small slits into each eggplant.
- Strip the leaves from the thyme sprigs, and chop. Discard the stems. Insert a sliver of garlic and a bit of chopped thyme into each slit in the eggplant. Rub olive oil onto the eggplants. Grill until black on a grill, turning frequently to ensure even roasting, about 15 minutes, or roast on an oiled baking sheet in the preheated oven, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the heat. Slice eggplant lengthwise and when cool enough to handle, scoop the softened pulp into a bowl. Beat until creamy with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Essence to taste, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve with lemon wedges and toasted pita triangles at the table.