- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (white part only)
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
- 2 minced shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups crab stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry champagne
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence
- Make a blond roux (with 4 tablespoons of the oil and the 4 tablespoons flour) by heating the oil over low heat and adding a small dusting of flour to the oil with one hand while whisking like crazy with the other. When all the flour has been incorporated, continue whisking until the roux is smooth. If you see small black specks in your roux, throw it out and start again – you’ve burned it. The roux will take four or five minutes to make.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the remaining oil over medium heat and add the green onions, celery and bell peppers, and cook, stirring for one minute. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring for one minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the stock, wine, paprika, hot sauce, salt and Essence. Whisk in the roux and cook until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Add the crabmeat, leeks and parsley. Simmer for 1 minute, and keep warm until needed.