- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 rib celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Essence
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed (juice reserved) and the shell, plus 4 wedges for garnish
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound medium (about 30) shrimp, peeled, deveined, tail segment left intact
- In a large saucepan, combine the peppercorns, coriander seeds, celery, tarragon, thyme, parsley, Essence, salt, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, white wine, water and bay leaves and bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 5 minutes. Add the shrimp to the boiling water, stir, cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the shrimp are just cooked through.
- Strain in a colander and transfer the shrimp to a large bowl. Discard the cooking liquid and seasonings.Refrigerate the shrimp until well chilled, about 1 hour before serving.