- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Baby Bam
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups water
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the meat and stir with a long-handled wooden spoon to break up the pieces. Cook, stirring, until the meat is brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, chili powder, Baby Bam, salt, cumin, and pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Put the whole tomatoes in a large mixing bowl and squeeze them with your hands to break them into pieces.
- Add the squeezed tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and water to the pot. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the chili from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the pot from the heat, ladle the chili into bowls, and serve.
- Be careful of splatters when cooking your meat and when bringing the chili up to a boil.