- 6 cups cooked dried beans (mixed types-about 4 to 5 cups dried)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon China Bowl Select red chili oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- One and one-half tablespoons cayenne (35,000 heat units)
- One and one-half tablespoons ground cumin
- One and one-half tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, de-stemmed, and minced (using all seeds and veins)
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 3 red tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 yellow tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 orange tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups bean water and/or Whole Foods Market Garden Vegetable Medley 365 juice
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon Whole Foods Organic Hot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon marjoram
- 1 tablespoon New Mexico chili pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon ground red chili powder
- 2 cups dry Heartline Meatless Meats, ``Ground Beef'' (See Note below)
- Day 1: Wash the beans three times in cold water. Soak them in a large amount of water overnight.
- Day 2: Drain the beans and put them in a large stockpot. Add enough water to fill at least 2/3 above them. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium high and continue cooking the beans for 1 to 1 and one-half hours. Strain and reserve all the liquid. Set aside.
- Combine the olive oil and chili oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the cayenne, cumin and coriander and sauté another 3 to 5 minutes, until spices are well blended with the onions and oil. Add the garlic and jalapeno and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the bell peppers and fennel. Sauté another 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and continue cooking, stirring, until the vegetables are tender and soft, about 20 minutes. Add the 3 cups of the reserved bean liquid and/or vegetable medley juice, and bring to a boil. Add the Heartline Meatless Meat ground beef, stirring for 5 minutes. Add additional bean liquid or vegetable juice as needed. Add the hot sauce, Mexican oregano, marjoram, New Mexico chili powder and ground red chili powder. Blend well. Add cooked beans. Season to taste with additional spices. You may also add more chili oil! The dish is spicy, saucy and hot. Makes about 1 gallon.
- Note: Heartline Meatless Meats are available from Lumen Foods at www.lumenfds.com or call 800-256-2253.