- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks*
- One-half cup sugar
- 2 cups half-and-half
- One-fourth cup heavy cream, loosely whipped
- One-half teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- One-fourth teaspoon allspice
- One-half cup brandy
- *Note: Since this eggnog is made with raw eggs, be sure to use fresh, fresh eggs. People with digestive conditions, young children and the elderly should not be served anything with raw eggs.
- In a stainless steel bowl, scrape the vanilla bean into the yolks. Whip in the sugar. Bring the half-and-half to a gentle boil. Place the bowl of egg-sugar mixture over a pot of simmering water. Add the half-and-half slowly into the egg-sugar mixture, whisking constantly until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and cool. Stir in the cream, nutmeg, allspice and brandy. It should be thick as a milk shake. Feel free to add more brandy.