- Remove the neck and giblets from the body cavity, rinse under cold running water and place in a saucepan to make the gravy. Reserve the liver to add to the gravy at a later point.
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Place the rinsed and seasoned turkey breast-side down on a rack in a large, heavy, shallow roasting pan. If cooking the stuffing inside the turkey, fill the body cavity with the stuffing now.
- Roast the turkey, uncovered, breast side down for 1 hour, then turn and continue roasting with the breast side up until an instant-read meat thermometer registers 165F. when inserted into the largest section of thigh, avoiding the bone.
- Baste the turkey once every hour with one-half to three-fourths cup of chicken or turkey stock, or any other basting liquid of your choice.
- Make sure the temperature of the stuffing has reached 160 to 165F. before removing the turkey from the oven.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and place on a platter. Tent the turkey with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving.