- CRUST AND TOPPING:
- Three fourths cup butter flavored solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- One and one-half cups all-purpose flour
- One-half teaspoon salt
- One-half teaspoon baking soda
- One and three-fourths cups quick oats, uncooked
- 3 to 4 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples, peeled and cut into one-half-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (14-ounce) bag caramel candy, unwrapped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with shortening.
- To make the crust, combine the shortening and the brown sugar in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer. Add the egg and beat until well blended. Combine one and one-half cups of the flour, the salt and the baking soda. Gradually add this mixture to the creamed mixture. Add the oats and mix until blended.
- Reserve one and one-fourth cups of the mixture and set aside. Press the remaining mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- For the filling, toss the apples with the two tablespoons of flour and the lemon juice. Arrange the apple mixture evenly over the partially baked crust and press in lightly with your fingers or the back of a spoon. Place the caramels in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at high for one minute. Stir and repeat until the caramels are melted. Drizzle the caramel evenly over the apples. Crumble the reserved topping evenly over the caramel. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the apples are tender and the top is golden brown. Loosen the caramel from the sides of the pan with a knife. Cool completely. Cut into bars. Cover tightly with plastic wrap to store.
Old Fashioned Caramel Apples
Trickster Treats (halloween 2001)
Spider Cookies (halloween 2001)
Peanut Butter Jack O'lanterns (halloween 2001)
Candy Bar Stuffed Baked Apples
Caramel Cinnamon Graham Apple Pie With Caramel Pecan Cream
Caramelized Apples And Pears With An Apple Sabayon
Caramel And Three Chocolate Apples
Emeril's Kicked Up Halloween Caramel Apples
New York Cheesecake With Caramelized "big Apple" Topping