- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups finely grated fresh coconut
- 2 pounds white sweet potato,* peeled and finely grated on a box grater
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and mashed
- 1 packed cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- Whipped cream, for serving
- *Cook's Note: White sweet potatoes are traditional for this dish. You can often find them in ethnic markets in large urban cities, but if not, feel free to substitute the more common orange sweet potatoes that we have here in the U.S.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, and add the butter to the pan. When the butter melts, sweat the ginger, stirring continuously, for 30 seconds. Add the coconut, sweet potato, banana, brown sugar, raisins, salt, vanilla, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and lime zest to the pan, and stir to blend. Continue to stir the ingredients in the pan, until the moisture starts to release from the coconut and potatoes. Cook the sweet potato mixture, for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring often. Add the milk, cream and coconut milk to the pan, and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the stove and pour the batter into a greased 9 by 13-inch baking pan.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour, or until the pudding sets. Check to see if the pudding is done by inserting a toothpick into the center to see if it comes out clean. Serve the pudding warm with whipped cream, or a rum sauce.
Sweet Potato Spice Cake
Sweet Potato Pudding
Braised Oxtails With Sweet Potato Pudding And Fried Okra
Sweet Potato-pecan Bread Pudding
Sweet Potato Pudding
Banana Pudding Layer Cake From Nola Restaurant
Smoked Shrimp Cakes With A Warm Fire Roasted Remoulade And Sweet Potato Nests
Sweet Potato Pecan Pie
Stephan Pyles Chocolate Pudding Cake With Mocha Sauce