- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 medium-large)
- Drizzle olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups fine dried bread crumbs
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 dozen medium shrimp (about 2 pounds), peeled and tail on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Creole Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions, green part only
- 1 1/2 cups BOURBON BBQ SAUCE:
- 2 (14-ounce) bottles tomato ketchup
- 3/4 cup bourbon
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Creole or whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Season the potatoes with the oil and salt. Place on a baking sheet and roast until tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Remove the skin and discard. In a mixing bowl, mash the potatoes until smooth. Add the egg and bread crumbs, mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill. Preheat the oil to 360ºF.
- Season the shrimp with the oil and Creole seasoning. Place 4 to 5 shrimp on each skewer. Place on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until the shrimp turn pink and the tail curls completely in. Place a spoonful of the sweet potato mixture into the hot oil and fry in batches until golden. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with Creole seasoning. To serve, spoon some of the BBQ Sauce in the center of each plate. Place a couple of the fritters in the center of the sauce. Cross 2 of the skewers and lay against the fritters. Garnish with green onions.
- BOURBON BBQ SAUCE: Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth, about 15 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Pulse 2 or 3 times. Store in a sterilized container until ready to use.
- Yield: about 1 quart
Gulf Shrimp And Sweet Potato Fritter
Grilled Spicy Sausage With Florida Sweet Potatoes And Peppers With Mustard Vinaigrette
Honey-butter Baked Chicken With Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Pork Chops Stewed With Apples And Prunes, With Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Grilled Shrimp Boudin With Crispy Mirlitons And A Classic Remoulade Sauce
Grilled Gulf Pompano With Shrimp Lemon Butter Sauce And Lemon Braised Leeks
Crispy Sea Bass With Confit Of Yukon Gold Potatoes, Pancetta And Fresh Sweet Peas
Cinnamon Smoked Venison Medallions With Bourbon Mash Sweet Potatoes And A Caramelized Onion Gravy
Braised Oxtails With Sweet Potato Pudding And Fried Okra
Spiced Baked Ham With Sweet Potatoes