- Peel of 1 orange, cut into 1- by 1/8-inch strips
- Peel of 1 lemon, cut into 1- by 1/8-inch strips
- 4 sugar cubes
- 6 whole cloves
- One 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup Grand Marnier or other orange flavored liqueur such as Curacao
- 2 cups hot, freshly brewed, strong black coffee
- 1 intact orange peel cut into a long spiral
- Light the burner under a Brulot bowl or chafing dish and adjust the flame to low. Into the bowl place the orange and lemon peels, sugar, cloves, cinnamon stick and Grand Marnier. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a long-handled ladle, to dissolve the sugar and warm the ingredients.
- When the mixture is warm, stir in the hot coffee, and ignite with a match.
- Quickly, while the mixture is still flaming, hold the spiraled orange peel with the prongs of a fork over the bowl, and ladle the flaming coffee mixture down the peel several times into the bowl for a spectacular presentation.
- Ladle the Café Brulot into Brulot cups or demi-tasse cups, being careful to leave the flavorings (peels, cloves, cinnamon) in the bowl. Serve immediately while hot.